St. Therese’s Journey Through the Dark Night of the Soul
Description: This week Dan, Melissa and Dr. Anthony Lilles discuss St. Thérèse’s journey through the dark night of the soul and the intense suffering that it caused her.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Why does St. Thérèse refer to herself as “a grain of sand”?
- The writings of St. Thérèse reflect those of St. John of the Cross: we must study the life of Jesus and imitate Him in everything we do.
- We must detach ourselves from our own reputation.
- St. Thérèse had a devotion to the Holy Face of Jesus and finds consolation not only for herself but for the world in a simple smile descending upon us from His blood-stained face.
- Why does St. Thérèse long for “the homeland” at this stage in her spiritual life?
- What is causing the suffering that St. Thérèse is experiencing?
- Why does God have us pass through such painful purification?
- How can one overcome the dark night of the soul?
Resources for this week’s show:
- Spiritualdirection.com – website
- EWTN Global Catholic Radio
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- Living the Mystery of Merciful Love: 30 Days with Thérèse of Lisieux by Dr. Anthony Lilles and Dan Burke
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. — please leave your name, location, and question
What is Divine Intimacy Radio?
The Divine Intimacy Radio Show is a haven of rest and wellspring of spiritual life for those seeking intimacy with God and the enlightened path of Catholic mystical and ascetical wisdom.
Every week, Dan Burke and Melissa Elson explore topics related to the interior life and Catholic teaching, including prayer, spiritual direction, meditation, contemplation, and holiness.
Divine Intimacy Radio Show and EWTN!
This radio show can also be heard every Sunday on EWTN Radio Sundays at 6:30 am, 1:30 pm, and 11:00 pm Eastern time. We are grateful to EWTN for their support!
- Please click on the arrow below to listen to this week’s show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the arrow below to listen to the show:
please consider supporting our mission with a donation!