Discernment of Spirits: Rule 9 “Aridity vs Desolation”
Description: On today’s show, Dan and Melissa talk about the causes of spiritual desolation using St. Ignatius’ “Rule the Ninth” (Rule 9) of The Discernment of Spirits. They also discuss the difference between desolation vs aridity.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Rule 9: “There are three principal reasons why we find ourselves desolate.
The first is, because of our being tepid, lazy or negligent in our spiritual exercises; and so through our faults, spiritual consolation withdraws from us. The second, to try us and see how much we are and how much we let ourselves out in His service and praise without such great pay of consolation and great graces. The third, to give us true acquaintance and knowledge, that we may interiorly feel that it is not ours to get or keep great devotion, intense love, tears, or any other spiritual consolation, but that all is the gift and grace of God our Lord, and that we may not build a nest in a thing not ours, raising our intellect into some pride or vainglory, attributing to us devotion or the other things of the spiritual consolation.”
- Aridity vs Desolation – what’s the difference?
- Why does God allow desolation in the soul?
- How does God show His love through spiritual desolation?
- What are the causes of spiritual desolation?
- Spiritualdirection.com – website
- EWTN Global Catholic Radio
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- The Discernment of Spirits by Father Timothy Gallagher, O.M.V.
- James 4:7-8 “Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.” (USCCB Bible link)
- The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
- Fire from Above by Dr. Anthony Lilles
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. — please leave your name, location and question.
- Click on the arrow below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the arrow below to listen to the show:
please consider supporting our mission with a donation!