Discernment of Spirits: Rule 6
Description: St. Ignatius’ Discernment of Spirits: Rule 6, teaches us that when one is experiencing spiritual desolation, he or she needs to make a change against the spiritual desolation. Listen as Dan and Melissa unpack the meaning and application of this Sixth Rule.
Topic/Questions covered in the show:
- Sixth Rule: “The sixth: Although in desolation we ought not to change our first resolutions, it is very helpful intensely to change ourselves against the same desolation, as by insisting more on prayer, meditation, on much examination, and by giving ourselves more scope in some suitable way of doing penance.”
- Is suffering meritorious for the soul when experienced outside of or without Christ?
- What are the characteristics of true peace vs. false peace?
- How can one experience the peace that Jesus promises in Scripture?
- According to Rule 6 of the Discernment of Spirits, we must insist more on prayer, insist more on meditation, be spiritually awake, and insist more on penance.
- How does spiritual desolation manifest itself in everyday life?
- SpiritualDirection.com – website
- EWTN Global Catholic Radio
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- The Discernment of Spirits by Father Timothy Gallagher, O.M.V.
- Divine Intimacy by Father Gabriel of Saint Mary Magdalen, O.C.D.
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. — please leave your name, location, and question.
- Click on the arrow below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the arrow below to listen to the show:
please consider supporting our mission with a donation!