Discernment of Spirits: Rule 5
This week Dan and Melissa discuss Saint Ignatius’ Discernment of Spirits: Rule 5 – never change spiritual commitments while experiencing spiritual desolation.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Fifth Rule. “The fifth: In time of desolation never to make a change; but to be firm and constant in the resolutions and determination in which one was the day preceding such desolation, or in the determination in which he was in the preceding consolation. Because, as in consolation it is rather the good spirit who guides and counsels us, so in desolation it is the bad, with whose counsels we cannot take a course to decide rightly.”
- Does spiritual consolation always precede spiritual desolation?
- When in spiritual desolation one should never change the commitments he or she has made when in spiritual consolation.
- Is there any reason why one could change his or her situation while in desolation?
- Loving God despite the experience of spiritual desolation is a proof of love.
- SpiritualDirection.com – website
- EWTN Global Catholic Radio
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- The Discernment of Spirits by Father Timothy Gallagher, O.M.V.
- Divine Intimacy by Father Gabriel of Saint Mary Magdalen, O.C.D.
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. — please leave your name, location and question.
- Click on the arrow below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the arrow below to listen to the show:
please consider supporting our mission with a donation!