Finding God through Meditation – Distractions in Prayer & Methods of Prayer
Distractions in Prayer and Methods of Prayer
Finding God through Meditation Reflections
How can we overcome distractions in prayer? How do we recognize transitions in our prayer lives, and how should we respond to them? What methods of prayer can be helpful? Dan and Melissa address these questions and more as they discuss the book Finding God Through Meditation by St Peter of Alcántara.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Are the distractions we experience in prayer from God?
- Where do inspirations in prayer come from?
- How can I overcome the temptation to get on the computer when I go to pray?
- Why is having a sacred space for prayer so important?
- Understanding transitions in prayer through the teaching of St Peter.
- Definitions of vocal prayer and mental prayer, and the distinctions between them.
- What does the Catechism say about meditation?
- Prayer as a battle.
- How does the enemy try to keep us from praying?
- Finding God Through Meditation – St. Peter of Alcántara
- Finding God Through Meditation ebook – St. Peter of Alcántara
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- How do I Set Up a Home Altar? – post on spiritualdirection.com
- iBreviary (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android, Kindle Fire, Windows Phone 7, Blackberry, mobile version, widgets): Contains the Liturgy of the Hours and also all the readings from the Mass
- Evernote – The note keeping and archiving app that Dan referred to.
- Pantocrator icon of Christ on Dan’s altar – Wikimedia Commons link to oldest known 6th-century icon from St Catherine’s Monastery
- Byzantine Three Bar Crucifix – similar to Dan’s (EWTN Religious Catalogue link)
- Theotokos of Vladimir Icon (Our Lady of Vladimir) – similar to Dan’s – MonasteryIcons link
- St. Ignatius’ Rules for Discernment – The second set of rules (eight rules).
- Catechism of the Catholic Church – Part 4, Section 1, Chapter 3, Article 1, Section II: Meditation
- Pilgrimage 2016 to Avila with Dan Burke and Teresa Tomeo (March 28 – April 4, 2016)
- Onething 2015 – Dan Burke speaking engagement, Kansas City (Dec. 28-31)
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 – “May the God of peace himself make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit, soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” – USCCB Bible link
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729 — please leave your name, location, and question.
- Click on the arrow below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s new books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the arrow below to listen to the show:
please consider supporting our mission with a donation!