Distractions in Prayer
Distractions in Prayer
What do giant trees and screaming monkeys have to do with praying? Dan and Melissa will tell you. Join them as they discuss reasons why we are distracted in prayer, and offer some strategies to deal with the distractions in prayer.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- What does the Catechism of the Catholic Church say about “the battle of prayer”?
- What is the best time to schedule daily prayer?
- What if the “best time” for prayer is not possible?
- Is it a sin to fall asleep during prayer?
- What does God expect from us in prayer?
- How can we reach the point where we crave prayer?
- Is anyone completely free from distractions in prayer? How is this possible?
- Avoiding discouragement over distractions.
- Training ourselves to be more disciplined in prayer.
- What is the enemy’s role in our distractions?
- 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Dan Burke and Anthony Lilles
- Dr. Anthony Lilles
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- Catechism of the Catholic Church – Part 4, Section 1, Chapter 3, Article 2: The Battle of Prayer
- Infused Contemplation – Definition from Navigating the Interior Life (for the book in Spanish: Navegando La Vida Interior — click here) on Spiritual Direction.com
- The Interior Castle Study Edition
- Finding God Through Meditation – St. Peter of Alcántara
- Finding God Through Meditation ebook – St. Peter of Alcántara
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 – “May the God of peace himself make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit, soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” – USCCB Bible link
- Pilgrimage 2016 to Avila with Dan Burke and Teresa Tomeo (March 28 – April 4, 2016)
- To send questions about the 2016 Pilgrimage to Avila, click here: Questions@myavila.com
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729 — please leave your name, location, and question.
- Click on the arrow below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s new books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the arrow below to listen to the show:
please consider supporting our mission with a donation!