Ascetical Practice: 30 Days w Teresa of Avila: day 26 reflectn pt 2
30 Days with Teresa of Avila
Part 2, Day 26 Reflections
Divine Intimacy Radio
When St. Teresa’s brother expressed a desire to practice physical mortification she gave him some spiritual direction. Dan and Melissa discuss ascetical practice, or acesis, and spiritual progress as they reflect on letters from St. Teresa in the book 30 Days with Teresa of Avila.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- What is a hair shirt? How is it used in the spiritual life?
- The role of the Holy Spirit in physical ascetical practices.
- How can one avoid the sin of pride when practicing ascesis?
- Discerning whether, or how, to practice mortification.
- Interior mortification vs. external mortification.
- What are the benefits of ascetical practices?
- What are the fruits of suffering? Is voluntary suffering as fruitful as involuntary suffering?
- 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Dan Burke and Anthony Lilles
- Reflections on Day 26 – Part 1
- Dr. Anthony Lilles
- Hair shirt – New Advent link
- Pelagianism – New Advent link
- Voluntarism – New Advent link
- Avila Institute – Link
- 1 Corinthians 9:27 – USCCB Bible link: “I drive [or buffet] my body and train it”
- Fr. Barron Comments on Pope John Paul II and Self-Mortification– Fr. Robert Barron video on “Taking the discipline” on spiritualdirection.com
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729 — please leave your name, location, and question.
- Click on the arrow below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s new books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the arrow below to listen to the show:
please consider supporting our mission with a donation!